Friday, June 25, 2010

Made it to Paris!


Yeay we finally got into France today and checked into our Paris hotel after being stuck in traffic for five and a half hours, or maybe six I lost track. We literally pulled our bus in front of the hotel, had fifteen minutes to bring our bags to our rooms, make ourselves look pretty, and get back on the bus so it could drop us off at the Eiffel tower. Once we get there we are handed tickets and take the lift up to the second level. You could also take the stairs if you are feeling energetic and athletic but, not me plus it was hot. Its 300 steps to the first level then another 300 to the second level. Then from there you have to take a lift to the top. The lifts seem more like roller coasters than elevators because they don't go straight up, they go diagonally and actually pretty fast.
Once we actually got to the top and stepped outside my heart stopped when I saw the most amazing view ever. I remember the view from the top of the Empire State building but this was different. There were just white buildings as far as I could see, almost resembling Greece and parks on three of the sides of the tower. In one of the parks on the north side of the building a huge flat screen was set up with tons of speakers where hundreds and hundreds of people watched the world cup games. From on top of the tower they all looked like little red ants. And someone must have scored because even from the top I could hear them cheering. And when I was standing still I could feel the entire building swaying just the slightest bit when a gust of wind blew. Amazing.
I sat up there for a while and took it all in before I started to head down. I took the lift to the second level then took the 600 steps down. My ankles started to feel sore about half way and once I hit the bottom and stood still my legs wouldn't stop shaking. I felt like my old dog Moses whose legs shakes when she walks due to her age. From the bottom I got some great perspective shots of the trusses and architecture near the pillars, I know I'm such an engi-nerd but I loved it. I took more close up shots of the architecture that of the entire tower.
From there we went to grab dinner, we were supposed to go on a cruise around Paris but our reservations got cancelled and rescheduled for tomorrow night.
After dinner I walked under the tower and grabbed a crepe with Lara and Mandy, yum yum chocolate and banana! Then we walked back to the park where the big screen playing the games was and met up with the rest of the group. They watched the game, I annoyed them all by using a blade of grass between my thumbs to make a very high pitched squeal, and waited until twilight when the building lit up. Its very pretty when the orange lights shine on the brown structure from the ground up with a dark midnight blue sky. I wish you all could have been there to see it with me!
It was absolute chaos in the streets after one of the soccer games. People screaming, yelling, jumping and hitting moving cars in the street, running under and around the Eiffel tower with Brazil flags...chaos!! But fun to be a part of and definitely made it a more memorable experience!
Tomorrow croissants for breakfast, hopefully, bus tour of the city in the morning, shopping with wine and cheese in the afternoon, boat cruise after dinner, and champagne in the park under the tower before bed. I love Europe <3


Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Powered by ShowMeBlogger.com

No comments: