Friday, June 11, 2010

Galileo's Study



This chandelier is the exact one Galileo used to study when he was 19. He first used this to study oscillation when he was sitting in church once and both of the double doors swung open at the same time due to wind. When they swung open the chandelier began to swing back and forth. In his own words, according to the handout the tour guide gave us today Galileo:" Probably around the age of 20, I noticed a chandelier swinging overhead while I was in a cathedral. I was curious to find out how long it took the chandelier to swing back and forth, so I used my pulse to time large and small swings. I was shocked to find out that the period of each swing was the same. I concluded that the relationship between the oscillation time and the length of the pendulum's swing, was O(oscillation time) is proportional to P²(length of the pendulum). The weight of the pendulum does not make a difference in the time it takes for each swing." The cathedral is built off many types of architecture, classic roman, roman gothic, islamic geography and turkish black and white stripes. Inside is a mix of all these styles combining arches with pointed pyramids and popits with harsh lines and movement in the figures sculptures.



Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Powered by ShowMeBlogger.com

No comments: